Cambration November 2011 Newsletter
Cambrian Pharmacy has a mission to be the leading provider of traditional and integrated health choices. We provide health alternatives, custom compounding, education, and caring in a customer focused environment. Thus each and every month we strive to service and educate our customers on various topics, interests and ideas. I hope you find this month educational and fun.
Please note that on November 11th the store will be open reduced hours from 12 noon to 6 pm to honour Remembrance Day.
November is Diabetes Awareness Month
Today, there are more than 9 million Canadians living with diabetes or prediabetes. With more than 20 people being newly diagnosed with the disease every hour of every day, chances are that diabetes affects you or someone you know.
How is diabetes treated? Here are 2 controllable factors that go hand in hand and that everyone can control immediately to assist with the disease.
Physical Activity: Regular physical activity helps your body lower blood glucose levels, promotes weight loss, reduces stress and enhances overall fitness.
Weight Management: Maintaining a healthy weight is especially important in the management of type 2 diabetes.
Why is activity so important for people with type 2 diabetes? Regular exercise has special advantages if you have type 2 diabetes. Regular physical activity can:
- Improve your body’s sensitivity to insulin and helps manage your blood glucose levels.
- Improve blood pressure and blood lipids (fats)
- Reduce the risk of complications such as heart disease and stroke.
- Improve general well-being and energy levels
- Help to prevent or manage diabetes
How Much Is Enough?
- People with diabetes should accumulate a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise each week, spread over at least 3 days of the week, with no more than 2 consecutive days without exercise.
- People with diabetes (including elderly people) should also be encouraged to perform resistance exercise 3 times per week in addition to aerobic exercise. Initial instruction and periodic supervision by an exercise specialist are recommended.
- An exercise ECG stress test should be considered for previously sedentary individuals with diabetes at high risk for CVD who wish to undertake exercise more vigorous than brisk walking.
Regardless of your age, making the decision to become more physically active is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself and the people who love you.
Cambrian Pharmacy is a community outreach pharmacy with the Canadian Diabetes Association and offers many services and supplies for Diabetics. Olga is a pharmacist and a certified diabetes educator on staff at Cambrian Pharmacy also. For more information talk to the Cambrian Pharmacy health care team and visit the website www.diabetes.ca.
Compounding Corner: Veterinary Compounding
We are able to prepare innovative, economical, easy-to-use dosage forms for your household pets. We work with veterinarians and animal care specialists to solve a variety of medication problems.
Trying to administer proper medications to animals is not always easy. We can prepare medications in easy-to-give flavoured dosage forms that animals love. We have the ability to prepare just about any medication in flavors like tuna, cheese, beef, and fish.
Manufacturers will often stop producing medicines and dosage forms that are unprofitable due to low demand. However, there is still the occasional need for such products. We can obtain the necessary pharmaceutical grade chemicals, and compound individualized dosage forms to meet the needs of your pet.
We can compound numerous dosage forms that are just right for specific animals - from oral liquids to flavored snacks. The active ingredient can usually be administered by various routes (oral, transdermal, optic, etc.).
Let us know how we can help you and your pets. Our friendly, trained staffs of pharmacists and technicians are here to make sure your pets get the individualized treatment they deserve.
Cambrian Pharmacy will still be offering flu shots in November and more dates have been added.
November 1st, 3rd, 4th, 8th, and 10th
ppointments are from 1-4 pm each day. Please make appointments with the pharmacist’s in-store or call 403-289-9181. All patients must remain in the store for 20 minutes after the shot in case of any possible allergic reactions.
Educational Event with Dr. Aliya Kabani ND
20 MINUTE BIE CONSULTATIONS on vitamins and minerals. BIE stands for BIO-ENERGETIC INTOLERANCE ELIMINATION which can be used for allergy elimination that is pain-free!
Is your diet nutrient deficient, or are you eating healthy but are not absorbing your vitamins and minerals properly? Come for a 20 minute bio-feedback analysis test to meet Dr. Aliya, to see how BIE treatment can work for you, and to assess whether you have unknown intolerances. Only $25 for a 20 minute bio-feedback analysis. Bring in your vitamins that you take now and see how your body reacts to know if you are getting the most out of your vitamins and minerals.
Meet Dr. Aliya practicing now in downtown and in the Northwest Calgary and find out how Dr. Aliya changed her life after her bone marrow transplant with naturopathic medical care, and how you can change your life too!
November 28th between 5:00 – 8:00 pm with Dr. Aliya Kabani. For more information please visit the website at www.cambrianpharmacy.com.
To book an appointment please call the store at 403-289-9181.
Diabetes Fall Forum
Join Cambrian Pharmacy and many specialists at the 8th Annual Diabetes Fall Forum on Saturday November 5th. Register online at www.diabetes.ca or call 403-266-0620 and come by The Coast Plaza Hotel & Conference Centre1316 33rd Street NE. Attendance is free.
Customer Appreciation Day
Come by the store and enjoy a cup of hot apple cider with the staff at Cambrian on us. We appreciate your continued loyalty and support. Thank-you!
Wednesday November 23rd.
In store will also be a demo by Hugo Natural Soaps and an opportunity to start your Christmas shopping. You can stock up on a variety of fun stocking stuffers, hostess gifts and ideas for the hard to buy for!
Dill Lemon Quinoa Salad
This recipe is chock full of whole protein, essential fatty acids and vitamins and minerals. Gluten free, nut free, soy free and dairy free (optional). This is great as a salad, side dish, or as the main dish for lunch or dinner. Mum’s Original Heirloom Unpolished Quinoa is available at Cambrian Pharmacy.
- I cup quinoa
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon rock salt
- ¼ cup green onion washed and minced
- ¼ cup minced feta cheese (optional)
- 1/8 cup hemp seeds
- 1 1.2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a heavy saucepan with a tight fitting cover for the pot, place quinoa in it with water and salt.
- Bring the quinoa to a boil over medium high heat. Cover the pot, and lower the heat to medium/low. Allow the quinoa to simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- While simmering, in a separate bowl, add in all other ingredients.
- When quinoa has simmered for 25 minutes, remove the pot from the heat, and allow it to rest for 10 minutes (still covered). Take off lid off pot and fluff the quinoa and then allow to cool.
- Add in dill/lemon mix to quinoa and stir gently.
- Garnish with dill, cucumber and lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Please visit www.cambrianpharmacy.com for Nutritional Information.
Purity Flyer - Click Here for the Flyer
Check out the deals in November's flyer. Now available at www.cambrianpharmacy.com.
To receive this newsletter monthly please register on the home page under Newsletter Sign Up. Sign up today.